North Simcoe Muskoka LHIN Announces New Board Chair
June 5, 2017
| Back Row: Tim Withey, Jacques Boulet,
Front Row: Andrea Butcher-Milne,
Chair Kirsten Parker
The North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network (NSM LHIN) is pleased to announce Kirsten Parker’s appointment for a three-year term as Chair of its Board of Directors, effective June 9, 2017.
Kirsten joins the LHIN Board at an exciting time in the evolution of health care in North Simcoe Muskoka. On May 3, 2017, NSM Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) services and staff were transferred to the NSM LHIN. In addition to planning, funding and integrating health care, the NSM LHIN has expanded responsibility for the delivery of home and community care needs.
Kirsten comes to the LHIN directly from serving as Board Chair at Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre (RVH), where she has served on the Board since 2009. During her tenure, she, advocated for expanded services close to home, including Advanced Cardiac Care and Child and Youth Mental Health. Kirsten is a former educator and superintendent with the Simcoe County District School Board. She has been a resident of Barrie for more than 40 years. Kirsten has played a role in community organizations including the Gryphon Theatre Guild, the Midland Rotary Club, Ambassador for the City of Barrie, and the Barrie Montessori School.
Recently, the LHIN welcomed five new Board members including two members who transitioned from the NSM CCAC Board. They include:
- Jacques Boulet, Orillia
- Andrea Butcher-Milne, Barrie (former NSM CCAC Board Member)
- Colleen Geiger, Oro-Medonte (former NSM CCAC Board Chair)
- Andreas Ott, Tay Township
- Tim Withey, Huntsville
They join board members:
- Barbara Dickson, Orillia, Vice-Chair
- Ewelina Chwilkowska, Orillia
- Ellen Mary Mills, Collingwood
- Larry Saunders, Huntsville
- Ernest Vaillancourt, Minesing
Current LHIN Board Chair, Robert Morton, concludes his term with the Board on June 8, 2017.
“Over the past six years as a hospital governor, I’ve had the opportunity to participate in many LHIN initiatives and to work closely with the outgoing Chair, Bob Morton, so I’m looking forward to my new role as chair of the NSM LHIN. I’m a firm believer in the importance of an accessible, patient-focused, high quality healthcare system. I truly believe that Ontario has all the components of a great system of care. What we need to ensure is that there are connections between those components that ensure patients receive the right care, in the right place, and at the right time.”
- Kirsten Parker
“We are very pleased Kirsten has been appointed to this important role with the LHIN Board. Her understanding of the local health care system and her knowledge of system governance will benefit the Board as we work towards a transformed health care system that delivers accessible, patient-focused care to residents of North Simcoe Muskoka.”
- Jill Tettmann, CEO, North Simcoe Muskoka LHIN
“It has been my privilege to serve the patients, people, health services providers and other partners of our region over the past six years as NSM LHIN Board Chair. I have every confidence that Kirsten will continue the strong NSM LHIN tradition of engaging with local health system leaders and the people of our area to achieve better health, better care and better value.
- Robert Morton, Board Chair, NSM, 2011-2017
- The role of the LHIN Board of Directors is to oversee, advise on and govern the strategic direction and priorities of the LHIN.
- Directors are appointed by an Order-In-Council, through a process administered by the Public Appointments Secretariat, for a term of up to three years, and may be re-appointed for an additional term or terms to a maximum of six years.
- The Chair and the Directors are appointed based on their expertise, experience, leadership skills and the needs of the LHIN and are accountable, through the Chair, to the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care for the LHIN’s use of public funds and for its results in the local health system.
For more information regarding board member biographies and terms of service, please visit the NSM LHIN Website Board of Directors.