North Simcoe Muskoka LHIN Providers Recognized with Minister's Medal Honour Roll
Submissions reward cross-sector collaboration and patient-centred care
October 20, 2016
The North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network (NSM LHIN) would like to congratulate the NSM nominees that received Honour Roll status for this year’s Minister’s Medal Honouring Excellence in Health Quality and Safety - Dr. Michael Lisi, Chief of Staff, Collingwood General and Marine Hospital in the individual category and the Better Coordinated Cross-Sectoral Medication Reconciliation (BOOMR) program in Barrie for the team-based category. The medal recipients and honour roll members were announced today at Health Quality Ontario’s annual conference - Health Quality Transformation 2016. In addition to Dr. Lisi and BOOMR, health care providers in the NSM LHIN submitted five other applications – 1 individual and 4 team.
This is the fourth year for the Minister’s Medal program which focuses on recognizing exceptional work across the health system, and showcasing successful collaboration that enables high-quality, patient-centred care. There is one medal awarded in each of the team-based and individual categories.
The BOOMR program coordinates four sectors of healthcare: CCACs, hospitals, long-term care homes and community pharmacies to ensure patient-focused care that helps reduce hospital visits, costs and unnecessary medications. Dr. Lisi’s nomination focused on his dedication to establishing strong working relationships with community organizations and his understanding of the value of collaboration and teamwork.
“We are extremely proud of the BOOMR program and Dr. Lisi’s recognition. We understand the value that all our health service providers bring to the residents of our LHIN and would like to thank the other organizations that submitted nominations for these awards.”
- Jill Tettmann, CEO, North Simcoe Muskoka LHIN
“We are very proud of our Chief of Staff, Dr. Michael Lisi and all those involved in the Georgian Bay Interprofessional Healthcare Education & Research Day. We are very grateful to have such strong medical leadership on our team and this honourable mention is well deserved.”
- Guy Chartrand, CEO, Collingwood General & Marine Hospital
“I am very proud of our inaugural event. It was a true testament of teamwork and a strong partnership between the Collingwood General and Marine Hospital, Rural Ontario Medical Program (ROMP) and Georgian College. I share this honourable mention with all those involved."
- Dr. Michael Lisi, Chief of Staff, Collingwood General & Marine Hospital
“It is amazing what the team has accomplished over the last two years to engage seniors and their families while improving the transition of care into long-term care homes and retirement homes. This is our second year on the Minister’s Medal Honour Roll. The team members continue to reduce polypharmacy and keep seniors out of hospitals.”
- Carla Beaton, Vice President Clinical Innovations and Quality Improvement , Medical Pharmacies Group Limited
- Dr. Lisi was a key player in planning the 1st annual Georgian Bay Inter-Professional Healthcare Community Education and Research Day that took place in June 2016.
- The event showcased education, research initiatives and innovative projects that were happening in the local health and wellness community.
- Organizations that have participated in the BOOMR program have seen workflow efficiencies and no resident hospital visits due to medication incidents since its inception.
- The pharmacist led MedRec process has resulted in cost savings to the Ministry’s Drug Benefit Program of $1000 per patient. Polypharmacy reduction has been a major outcome measure.