Muskoka and Area
Top Three Accomplishments
- Secured district-wide representation for the Sub-Regional Planning Table, including Indigenous, LGBTQ, patient, caregiver, municipal government, public health, community health services, acute care, and palliative care stakeholders.
- Supported Muskoka Algonquin Health Care in achieving a balanced budget in 2017/18.
- Introduced Care Coordinators into primary care settings.
Top Three Challenges in 2018-19
Redevelopment of Muskoka Algonquin Healthcare (MAHC)
The current hospital funding formula continues to present significant challenges for MAHC as a multi-site, medium-sized hospital. MAHC’s Capital Planning Task Force) has completed a Stage1A plan, which includes the recommendation to redevelop sites in Huntsville and Bracebridge. Work has begun on the Stage 1B plan, which will offer recommendations on the services to be delivered at each site.
Highest rate of people aged 75+ in Ontario
Muskoka and Area has the highest proportion of population aged 75 or older in Ontario (11.1 per cent, while those aged 65 or older is 25.5 per cent), yet has fewer long-term care (LTC) beds per population than the provincial average. The sub-region has the highest proportion of people aged 75+ awaiting placement in LTC facilities in NSM. The sub-region is also experiencing a significant shortage of Personal Support Workers (PSW) to support community-based and long-term care. This contributes to high Alternate Level of Care (ALC) rates. The lack of transportation connecting service opportunities, and limited and under-funded dementia-related services also present challenges in light of the continued growth of the senior population.
Prevalence of chronic disease
Of all the sub-regions in Ontario, Muskoka and Area has the highest prevalence rate for asthma. It is also among the top eight sub-regions with the highest rates for diabetes. The obesity rate and percentage of overweight residents is also significantly higher than the provincial average
Goals for 2019-22
For more information on the Muskoka and Area sub-region, contact:
- Beth Ward, Director, Muskoka and Area Sub-region Sub-Region Planning and Integration
- Monica Gabriel, Director, Muskoka and Area Sub-region Home and Community Care
- Dr. David Mathies, Muskoka and Area Sub-Region Clinical Lead